Powered by Blogger.

Maggie Xie


When I started this blog my intentions were to find out why people were so absorbed with the fashion industry. Little did I know that within one month of my first post, I would be in contact with Maggie Xie. She is a Surfacing Artist at Guru Studio in Toronto and has an impeccable sense of style. I find that she manages to combine the classics with statement pieces making it look effortless and that's exactly how I envision my own style. When she answered my message I was ecstatic and couldn't wait to ask her some questions about my biggest passion. 

She told me she couldn't remember when her interest in fashion began, except that it started while playing with dolls as a girl. I could definitely relate to this and got a little nostalgic, remembering how I carefully dressed my Barbie dolls depending on who I wanted them to be. Then Maggie continued, "When I get dressed in the morning, I become who I really am that day". It seems like most people, including myself, are different versions of themselves every day. 

"Community is definitely something fashion provides", Maggie stated. Sometimes I forget about this, studying the negative effects of fashion. It really does bring people together and she expressed this in a lovely way, "Fashion means that I can find friends without saying a word, one look says it all". I think this is extremely important to remember, because a sense of community is essential in life. Another thing that she told me that I want to remind you of; how empowering fashion can be, and what you actually can communicate with your style. 

What I was also pleased to hear was how aware she was of the sustainability issues in fashion. Maggie does her best to support local brands and she donates or swap her old garments. She also pointed out the importance of investing in your wardrobe, rather than buying into the trend of unsustainable fast fashion that has soared over the past decade. Maggie Xie, you really inspire me.



Maggie looking amazing in some of her favourite investments

2 comments